Monday, August 5, 2013

Will of Amos West (1819)

Ben West, a researcher for this family line, has theorized that his ancestor Amos West (b. 1766) is a probable son of Richard West (b. Ca. 1738) of Granville and Chatham Counties, North Carolina.  Richard West is the son of Thomas West, Sr. (b. Ca. 1718) of Granville and Chatham Counties and the ancestor of blog creator John G. West.  For more specific information about his theory, please e-mail him at westbe@gmail.com.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
THE WILL OF AMOS WEST, Logan County, Kentucky Will Book B, p. 231 and pp. 257-258, Logan County Clerk's Office, 229 West Third Street, Russellville, Kentucky 42276-0358:
p. 231
A. Wests's Will
May the 6th AD 1819.  I Amos West Being at this time in a Low State of health but in intire Strengtth of mind do feell it injoind on on me to make this my Last will and Testament (Viz) I do here will to my beloved wife Anne one negro Girl caled Charlotte during her life or Widowhood also the the third of the Land whereon I now live Including the house &c agreable to a true estimate of value also one third of the Stock and &c which is not hereafter willd--I also Will to my Daughter polly Millikin one negroe Girl called Harrott--also I will to my Daughter Isabel Holkem one negroe Girl call'd Clarisa also I will to my Daughter Agness one negroe Girl calld Nancy & one Sorrel mare which is now call'd her's one Saddle and Bridle Which is to be paid out of my estate one Cow and Calf one ewe & Lamb one feather bed & furniture  Also I do will to my Son Leonard West Ninety Seven acres of Land Where he has now Improved and agreable to the lines laid off to him also one bed and furniture--I also will to my Son James West one horse worth Sixty Dollars one Saddle and bridle one feather bed & furniture one negroe boy call'd Carry  I also will to my Son Richard all the home tract & twelve & a half acres entered in the name of Charles Vickery together with the third of the Land I alot to my wife anne at her death or Widowhood also my negroe man George I alot to work for the Support of my present wife & two Sons James & Richard During her life or Widowhood--I also intend that Richard dopay to James Myson Four hundred Dollars when they both become of age all other part or parsel of my estate after the Dec'd of my wife or Widowhood the Remains of my estate together with George Shall be equally Divided & further I desire James Herndon & William Millikin to Execute this my will day and date above Signd.  survy'd
AMOS West (*Seal*)
De?
Leonard West       }
William R. Drake }
J. Morrow               }
[The Will of Amos West--date of probate:  June 21, 1819]
pp. 257-258
West Amos
Beginning at three hickorys thence South 35 West 76 poles to a stake in a lane thence South 50 East 20 poles to a stake thence south 16 West 48 poles to a stake at the south west corner of the spring house thence S 55 West 76 poles to a honey lowcust in the out side line South 86 west 34 poles to a gum thence S 75 west 8 poles to a hickory thence North 10 East 40 poles to a blackjak thence North 55 East 40 poles to astake at the fence thence with the fuence South 50 East 40 poles to a stake thence North 36 East 36 poles to a stake thence North 50 west 8 poles to a stake thence North 3 East 20 poles to a stake in the lane thence North 64 west 56 poles to 2 black oaks in the outside line thence North 53 East 120 poles to a black oak and hickory thence south 49 East 20 poles to the Beginning  We your commissioners being sworn have proceded agreeable to order of court your worshipful court and and the will of the Decd to view and lay off the widow of Amos West Decd her dower of land by actual measurement as afore said dower giving her the rails lying around the ____ lot near the school house with all buildings on her dower lot except one corn house of two giving her first choice
18th Decm 1819
Wm Aingell
Philip Washburn
Wm Hickman
Philip Washburn for 2 days Surveying    $4
W Aingell & W Hickman 1 day eash? [each?] com'rs?    2--
      ___
      $6--
Logan county Sct I Spencer Curd clerk of the county court of said county do hereby certify that at a county court held at the court house in Russellville on the 20th December 1819 the within attachment of dower was produced in open court and ordered to be recorded In testimony that the same together with this certificate Hands truly recorded in my office I hereunto set my hand
Spencer Curd

Submitted by Ben West

No comments:

Post a Comment