Summary of Records for Thomas West of Spotsylvania/Stafford County And Thomas West of Orange Co
1740 – A Thomas West witnessed several deeds in Spotsylvania Co, VA [Virginia County Records, Spotsylvania County 1721-1800 Transcriptions]
1740 – Oct 6 – Thomas West of Spotsylvania Co purchased 250 ac from Jos Brock of Spts Co. [Virginia County Records, Spotsylvania County 1721-1800]
1740 – Oct – Thomas West of Spotsylvania Co Summoned to Grand Jury [Unknown source, but probably Order Book Abstracts of Spotsylvania County, Virginia / Ruth & Sam Sparacio 1724-1742.]
1743 – Mar 12 – Thomas and Catherine West’s daughter Carty born in Stafford Co [Overwharton Parish Register 1720-1760, http://vagenweb.org/
1744 – May 1 – Thomas & Catherine West of Stafford Co sold to Wm Long 250 ac in Spotsylvania Co, VA. [Virginia County Records, Spotsylvania County 1721-1800]
1744 – Nov 4 –Thomas West witnessed will of John West of Stafford Co [Downloaded from the WEST-L Archives on Rootsweb.com].
1746 – Feb 10 – Thomas and Catherine West’s son James born in Stafford Co [Overwharton Parish Register 1720-1760, http://vagenweb.org/
One can find a detailed discussion of the above records posted on our web site at the following link:
There are three critical and interesting aspects regarding the above records:
1. In 1740 our Thomas West would have been about 22 years old according to our estimate of his age. The age of this Thomas West and our Thomas West seem to fit perfectly. If this were our Thomas West, it may have been his very first records.
2. The 1 May 1744 deed records mentioned that Thomas West’s wife was named Catherine. This record COULD support the family tradition found in Christine Reid’s ‘Small Book’ which stated that, “Katie Eastern married Thomas West.” To find out more about the information presented in the “Small Book”, see the discussion at the following link:
In addition, many records for a Phillip Eastin and other members of the Eastin family appear in nearby Caroline and Orange Counties. This confirms that a family did exist in the nearby counties that used the surname that was one of the variations of Eastern/Easton/Easti
3. We know that the Thomas West of Spotsylvania Co, VA, migrated to Stafford Co from the above records. However, we do not know that the Thomas West that witnessed John West’s will is the same person. At this time, however, there is no reason to believe that he is not. More importantly, this John West is the same John West whose descendant’s DNA match our Thomas West. See the Group 5 West DNA results at the following link:
Also, for a more information on John West see our discussion on our web site at the following link:
The 10 Feb 1746 Overwharton Parish Record was the last record found for Thomas West in Stafford County. The records for this timeframe in Stafford County are very sparse. This could be the reason why no additional records have been found. Or, Thomas West could have removed to another county. Searching some of the nearby counties, we found the following list of records in Orange County, Virginia. Orange Co, VA was created in 1734 from Spotsylvania and lies just to the northwest of Spotsylvania, only about 5-10 miles from Stafford Co, across a small strip of King George Co. Keep in mind that we have no connection between the Thomas West of Stafford Co and the Thomas West of Orange Co other than items listed below the following timeline.
1746 – Thomas West vs Thomas Duncan in Orange Co Court index. [Orange Co, VA Gen Index to Orders & Minutes, Books 1-2]
1746 – Oct 12 – West Ignatius of King George Co purchases 527 acres in Orange Co, VA, from James Shorwood, book 10 pg. 296-7. [Bk 10 p 296 Orange Co, Deed Index and Abstract from 1658-1758 Charles County MD Families "The first 100 years", WorldConnect Family Tree by Mike Marshall].
1749 – Sept 28 – Thomas West begins road orders in Orange Co as a member of group to clear road [Orange Co, VA Gen Index to Orders & Minutes, Books 1-2]
1750 – July 26 – Thomas West appointed overseer of road in Orange Co [Orange County Road Orders 1750-1800 by Ann Brush Miller PDF from http://vtrc.virginia
1750 – Oct – Thomas West to be prosecuted for tending seconds. [Orange County Order & Minute books, LDS Microfilm #33037]
1751 – Jan 24 – Thomas West appointed overseer of high way in Orange Co (Road orders say 1750, but I believe written incorrectly) [Orange County Road Orders 1750-1800 by Ann Brush Miller PDF from http://vtrc.virginia
1751 – Thomas West vs Lawrence Strother (Estate?). [Orange County Order & Minute books, LDS Microfilm #33037]
1751 – Nov 29 – Thomas West received 30 lbs of tobacco for setting up sign post. This is last appearance on road orders in Orange Co [Orange County Road Orders 1750-1800 by Ann Brush Miller PDF from http://vtrc.virginia
1752 – Thomas West Listed in the titheables of Orange County [Orange County, Virginia Tithables 1734-1782, Barbara Vines Little. Lookup by Lib of VA]
1753 – Feb 22 –John Underwood appointed overseer of road in room of Thomas West in Orange Co. [Orange County Road Orders 1750-1800 by Ann Brush Miller PDF from http://vtrc.virginia
1753 – Apr 26 – Francis Taliafero against Estate of Thomas West in Orange Co. (dismissed) [Orange County Order & Minute books, Microfilm #33037]. This and the following records show that there were at least two Thomas Wests in Orange Co, VA during this time. One had died by 1753.
1753 – Apr 26 – William Hunter against Estate of Thomas West in Orange Co. [Orange County Order & Minute books, LDS Microfilm #33037].
1753 – Apr 26 – Thomas McCredie against Thomas West in Orange Co. (dismissed) [Orange County Order & Minute books, LDS Microfilm #33037].
1753 – Apr? 26? – Thomas West found guilty of tending seconds in Orange Co. [Orange County Order & Minute books, LDS Microfilm #33037].
1755 – Ignatius West awarded 184 Lbs of tobacco for serving as a witness for John Foshee in a suit against William Hust in Orange Co. for “four days attendance at this court & coming out of Culpeper County fourteen miles twice” [Orange County Order & Minute books, LDS Microfilm #33037]. Not sure if this Ignatius is the same as the one owning land in Orange Co or any of the other known Ignatius Wests.
1776 – Oct 24 Deed recorded in Orange Co Deed Book & court records in which Ignatius and Patience West of Stafford Co sells land in Orange Co, VA to William Strother. [LDS Microfilm #33016 – Deed Book 15 & 16, Orange Co, VA]
There seems to be only two minor details in the above records of Orange County that could POSSIBLY link this Thomas West to the Thomas West of Stafford County or to our Thomas West:
1. The existence of records for an Ignatius West seems to link this Thomas West of Orange Co to our group of Wests as the name Ignatius seems to be so prevalent in our group of Wests. The fact that this Ignatius was of King George Co when he purchased the land and then of Stafford Co when he sold it could be a possible link to the Wests of Stafford County.
2. The smooth connection of the time lines between the last record in Stafford and the first record in Orange County seems to link the two Thomas Wests together. At the very least, it is no reason to eliminate them from consideration of being the same person. The same statement (regarding the smooth connection of timelines) could be said about the Thomas West of Orange (who seemed to disappear from Orange Co records in 1753) and our Thomas West (who was first found on the 1754 Granville Co, NC, tax List).
This last record exhausts all of the available microfilm and Internet related records I have found for Thomas West at this time. Below I have listed the remaining detailed discussions on the West Family web site for Orange County records. I look forward to any comments regarding the above records or my opinions regarding their connections.
First group of records for Thomas West of Orange Co
Ignatius West of King George
Update on Thomas West of Orange
Another Update on Thomas West of Orange
Thomas West in Orange Co Court Orders
Land sale for Ignatius West of Stafford Co, formerly of King George Co